Sunday, September 6, 2009

my home away from home

I know I've said this at least ten times already but I cannot believe I'm leaving for France in less than two weeks. In 13 days I will hopefully be sitting in my home away from home, my parisian home, my very own apartment with Dorene. We got our housing assignments about a week ago. Through our program you could choose to live with a French household or you could apply to be in an apartment on a first come first serve basis. Since I literally applied three days after the program deadline I was sure I would end up in someone's house. I didn't entirely mind living with a family but I just thought living on my own would be more comfortable. I might have ended up with the most amazing family ever but knowing my luck in these type of things I would have probably ended up with some ex-murderer and his grumpy wife. For anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating, you really should have met my roommates from freshman year. I have that kind of luck. 

Getting back on track...me and Dorene/Dorene and I, whichever is correct, ended up in an apartment!  Our exact address is 7 rue Oscar Roty 75015 Paris, France. Just in case anyone loves me that much and wants to surprise me and send me something, don't bother. I wont be able to get mail at my apartment, but thank you for loving me that much! I got lucky and basically got the best housing out of everyone in my program. My apartment is in the very nice 15th district of Paris, the same district the Eiffel Tower is in. It's south of the river, on the western side. I already google mapped it and "walked" around my future neighborhood, saw the Boucicaut metro stop I'm going to be using. I also found the nearest hospital and pharmacy so that Dorene knows where to go when I get sick. I say "when" instead of "if" because my horrible immune system and European cold weather just don't get along. It looks like a real Parisian city, very untourist-y. My sister said you can tell that it is a nice area because there are a lot of trees, apparently you don't see many trees in Paris. 

Apartment Boucicaut, what my program calls my apartment, apparently has a large balcony, one large bedroom, a living room and a bathroom, all fully furnished. Too bad it will be below zero and raining 90% of time so the balcony won't be used but it's a cool thing to brag about. Can't wait to move in, take pictures and post them, assuming I learn how photo posting works. 

1 comment: